One of the things that I’ve liked in GNOME 3 is ability to manage workspaces, windows and run application from the overview mode, all beginning from one single gesture. So I’d like to my Cinnamon desktop behave somethat alike.
Simpliest way to run applications in the Cinnamon is to use favorites and menu applets. But they are on the panel, and by default Cinnamon hides panels then entering expo and overview modes - so from expo you can manage only workspaces and windows, from overview - only windows, and can’t run an application (except from Alt+F2 command line) from both of modes.
/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/ directory. As you can guess, expo logic is in
expo.js and overview is in
overview.js. So what’s next?
1. Open script with superuser privileges in the text editor:
2. Find these two lines (marked as 1 and 2):
3. Comment out these lines and save the file:
4. Now you need to restart Cinnamon. For this you can use entry in the Troubleshooting menu, or command line:
5. In some cases expo and overview boxes could be partially overlapped with panels - it’s probably your case if you using top panel.
For both expo and overview, you need to change second parameter value of
set_position function (Y offset).
For expo, edit
For overview, edit
Offset value is related to the panel height, but you need to experiment with this to get desired result, as current Cinnamon theme
could greatly infuence it. In my case (New Minty theme), panel height is about 26, but value of 16 in the
expo.js and 32 in
workspacesView.js is fine.